American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course
Katy ISD offers several lifeguard training courses throughout the year. These courses are open to anyone who is 15 years of age and older. Participants who are 14 years old must turn 15 by the last day of the class. Participants also must be able to pass a prerequisite swim test which has been set by the American Red Cross. The details for this swim test are listed below.
To Enroll in a Lifeguarding Course: Registration Opens February 1, 2024. *New course dates will be updated in January 2024.
To register, click on the button below that says "Click Here to Register". Payment must be made through Katy ISD's Pay N' Go account using either a debit card, credit card or e-check. The cost for a Lifeguard Training Course is $200. This fee covers the on-line portion of the class and the skills session participation over a selected weekend. Participants must attend the full class for which they are registered. Skills sessions can not be divided into multiple weekends.
A confirmation email will be sent back to the participant when registered. You will also receive an email from "Sales Force" which is the American Red Cross registration email to begin your on-line module. The email from Sales Force often goes to a spam or junk folder so please check all folders for this email 24-48 hours after registering.
*The minimum number to have in a class is 6, if the registration number does not reach at least 6 participants the class will be cancelled. The maximum number of participants is 12 per class.
On-Line Module for the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Once you have registered with Katy ISD by mailing in our registration form and check. Katy ISD will send a confirmation email back with more information regarding the course. Shortly after you should receive an email from "Sales Force" with instructions on registering to complete the on-line module. Please make sure you use the same email address for both Katy ISD registration as with the Red Cross registration.
All our Lifeguard Training Courses are now Blended Learning. This means all videos and lecture must be completed on-line before the first day of " Skills Sessions". To access the web-based blended learning portion of the course use the link sent to you via email from "Sales Force". You will need to create a log-in ID and Password. Also for this link to open you will need to turn off pop-up blocker in your tool bar. Once you have completed the on-line portion of this course please print the "Completion Report" or the confirmation email and bring it with you to the skills sessions.
To complete the course and receive a certificate participants must pass a written exam with 80% correct and pass skills test scenarios. This American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification includes Professional Rescuer CPR, First Aid, AED and Lifeguarding for a 2-year period with a Bloodborne Pathogen certification for a 1-year period.
Prerequisite Swim Test
This test is given at the beginning of the skills session. The skills listed below must be completed to continue on the course.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both strokes. Swimming on the back or side is not permitted. Swim goggles may be worn during this portion of the prerequisite swim test.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only your legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not permitted during this portion of the prerequisite swim test.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Please be prepared for the following before the skills sessions:
- Bring the Completion Report stating the participant has completed all online lessons. If a participant does not show this report prior to the prerequisite swim test the participant will not be allowed to start the skills sessions.
- Get ready to swim. Girls need to wear a sports swim suit. Boys need to wear swim trunks. All swim wear should be appropriate school attire.
- A dry change of clothes is recommended.
- Two towels each day
- Goggles are needed during underwater skills practice on all days of training.
- Participants are welcome to bring food/snacks and drinks and a lunch break will be given sometime between 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. on full days and depending on the progress of the class.
- Participants should download the Lifeguard Manual (link is on the right of this page). Please review the manual prior to starting class. Hard copies of the manual will be available during the course but are not provided for participants to keep.
Address for Training Site:
Patricia E. Paetow High School (PHS)
23111 Stockdick School Rd.
Katy, TX 77493
The natatorium is on the west side of the school past the track. Meet in the "Team Room" inside the natatorium (across from the bleachers)