2023-2024 Semester Exam Exemption Requirements
Semester exam exemptions will be offered during the fall and spring semesters for the 2023–2024 school year. Below are the required semester exemption requirements.
In KISD, Semester Exam Exemptions are offered as attendance and behavior incentives for students. Exemptions are determined by course.
To qualify for an exam exemption on a course, a student must meet the following criteria per semester, per course:
- An average of 80 or higher for the semester.
- No more than FIVE (5) non-school related absences (see note below).
- No more than TEN (10) tardies;
- No N in conduct for the course and no U in conduct for any class.
- No ISS, OSS, OAC/DAEP Placement, or JJAEP Placement.
- No outstanding fees or fines.
- Must have been enrolled in the course by the 10th day of instruction; and
- Meet campus-specific requirements related to exemption submission deadlines and verification procedures for securing their exemptions.
The number of available exemptions per grade level is as follows:
Please note: The following absence codes do NOT count towards the five (5) allowable excused & unexcused absences:
- P: Present but not in class
- S: School-sponsored curricular and extra-curricular activity that is not UIL-related
- V: UIL and other competitive activities
Final Exam Exemption Clarifications:
- Except for seniors, students may not be exempt from the same course final for both the fall and spring semesters.
- Advanced Placement (AP) Exams:
- Students enrolled in an AP course who successfully sit for the AP exam for that course may elect to attempt the final exam in the Spring semester.
- The final exam exemption for an AP exam does not count toward the maximum number of exemptions for that student’s grade level.
- HCC Dual Credit & College Prep courses CANNOT be exempted.
- Jordan High School students may earn additional exemptions by meeting specific attendance incentive criteria. Please see your Class Canvas page for more details.
IMPORTANT SENIOR INFORMATION (Class of 2024):
Seniors are required to attend school through Friday, May 10, 2024. Excused and non-excused absences accrued through Friday, May 10, 2024, will count toward the maximum of five (5) absences or less to exempt a final exam. Seniors ineligible for final exam exemptions may take their final exams beginning Monday, May 13, 2024. Campuses will communicate their specific senior final exam schedule that begins on Monday, May 13 through 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15, 2024.
Campuses will host a Class of 2024 graduation ceremony meeting and other senior events daily beginning on Monday, May 13th. Campuses will communicate specific schedules of events during the fall semester.
Students are encouraged to verify semester exam exemption eligibility by continually monitoring their semester average(s), attendance/tardies, conduct grade(s), and behavior consequences via the Home Access Center (HAC).